Monday, May 11, 2009

It was one of those days that you dread

Warning: If you don't like needles don't read this post! (Not for the faint of heart.)

Big Sis is getting ready for Kindergarten. And that means a trip to the doctor. Last week she received 6 shots. (Bad mom that I am sometimes, didn't keep up on her immunizations. So poor thing had a full dose.) She handled it pretty well, only a few tears during the process.

Per the doctors orders we went to the lab today to have from blood drawn for tests. I had Big Sis all prepped for the event. She asked if it would hurt and I told her it would pinch and then go away. I was not prepared for what happened. The nurse could not get the needle into the vein. Why don't the just take the needle out and start over instead of poking around for what seems like minutes to find her tiny little vein. Finally she got it going. Things were okay, just a few tears. Lil Sis was patiently waiting. The ordeal was now over, or so we thought...

Ten minutes later I am shopping at a store nearby when my phone rings. Its the nurse. We forgot to run one of the tests, can you come back in? Aaargh!!! I informed Big Sis that we would need to go back. She seemed okay until we got into the room. Panic, hysteria, and sobbing ensued. She clutched her arm and fought like crazy to keep it away from the nurse. It probably didn't help that the nurse kept apologizing to me. Lil Sis was in the room and exclaimed, "I am leaving, I don't want to be in the room with the crying." Great, just great. Okay what should I do. I guess Lil Sis can't get into too much trouble so I opted to stay with Big Sis.

I explained that we needed to have the tests done to Big Sis. I informed her that I could either hold her arm still or she could choose to hold her arm out for the nurse. If she chose to do it, it would hurt less. She was brave and chose to give me her arm. This time thank goodness the nurse got it right on the first try.

The situation was so out of hand that it was laughable. Is the trauma going to be way worse next time for Big Sis? Was Lil Sis traumatized by the situation? I am really hoping its like childbirth and they will forget what the pain was like.

So I guess now we are ready for Kindergarten, eight band-aids later!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been there. It's never fun to have to get blood drown and from children it's a nightmare. I hope that the memory of this is wipe clean for all of you.