Sunday, April 11, 2010

Getting Dirty

Saturday I ran in the Irvine Lake Mud Run with some friends from Irvine. It was a lot of fun and much different than I expected. For some reason I thought there would be more running. There was running, but that part was easy. The mud pits were the challenging obstacles. I think I could do much better the next time around now that I know what to expect. I kept getting held up by people in front of me and the slower I went through the mud the more my feet seemed to want to stay put. Next time I'm going to charge through and pass more people slowing me down. And I definitely did not pick the right bra! Sorry to all of you who witnessed my embarrassing display.

The girls ran the kids mud run. Big Sis loved it. She said she wanted to race with Lil Sis and I, but I could tell she was itching to break free of us. She would run ahead passing up kids and realize that she had left us behind, so she would stop and wait. Lil Sis was doing great up until the mud pit. Once she got her feet in the mud the complaints started. "I don't want to do this". After some encouragement she kept moving. It didn't help that she got mud splashed in her face. Big Sis charged through with a smile on the whole time. We crossed the finish line. One girl in tears, the other grinning from ear to ear. Now that the event is over Lil Sis is talking about doing it again. Like today! I think she realizes now that the mud washes out. Their favorite part was the car wash bubbles.

Before the race.
Our cheering section!
Proof we did it!
Happy to start our race.
Charging forward.
Getting mud in her eye.
Grumpy and Happy and the "Meanest Mom"

Still at it.
Pretty upset about her legs, shoes, and that her unmentionables were dirty.

Happy racer.
Her favorite part of the race.
A Bubble Oompa Loompa.
We had a ton of pebbles in our shoes.
I do have a heart after all. I carried her up the hill.
Happy and ready to try again.

3 comments:

tatum said...

OMG, how adventurous of you! i would totally be like lil sis in this situation.

jen said...

Looks like you all had a lot of fun . . . well most of you! What a fun thing to do.

Elder and Sister D said...

You are thee mom of all mom's!!! Way to go!!!!! What an experience for all of you! Thank goodness it's documented forever.