Sunday, June 29, 2008

A Mermaid Family

A couple days ago Big Sis and I had this conversation.

Big Sis: Mom, I want to be a mermaid. I am going to ask Heavenly Father to make me a mermaid.
Me: I don't think he can do that, you are a human and can't breathe underwater.
Big Sis: I can eat some seaweed, then I can breathe under water. (Note: If you've ever watched Barbie Mermaidia then you will understand the seaweed reference here! If not all I can say is lucky you!!!)
Me: That really doesn't work its make believe. Besides you would be all alone, your family would still be human.
Big Sis: Then I want Heavenly Father to make us a mermaid family.
Me: We can't Big Sis, we are human, but we can swim together and go diving with air tanks. We just wouldn't be able to live underwater without breathing.
Big Sis: (sobbing) But I really wanted to be a mermaid family.
Me: I know I used to dream of the same thing when I was little. My friend and I would pretend we were mermaids when we went swimming in her pool. It is a really nice thing to make believe.

Here's to our dreams of becoming a mermaid...

This could almost be Big Sis in 10 years!

3 comments:

Allison said...

claaaasic. i think we're doin' a mermaid birthday for my daughter in august.

so we're in cali for good now. let's get together!

Edika's News said...

Too funny, I guess we'll just have to get some scuba tanks for the pool! Dad/Opa

byers babes said...

I feel her pain. I had those same aspirations as a child. I still do sometimes. Sigh . . . She can always grow her hair out and wear seashells. Dad may not go for that though. :)