Friday, April 24, 2009

Gardens

We inherited a jungle for a backyard. No sprinklers in the backyard either. I find it hard to believe that a home built in 1968 never had a sprinkler system installed. So DH is busy planning, pruning, digging, cutting down trees, removing massive roots, demolishing a pond and just being awesome. I love to watch him sweat. It makes me love him so much more.

We will to have to move the garden. But no big deal we only got a few plants to grow anyways. Here's what we were able to grow:

I would love a yard like this, but I think we need grass for the kiddos. I will however use it as inspiration.

4 comments:

MommaMcCarthy said...

You should REALLY look into square foot gardening! It is sooo awesome! I don't know why anyone would ever do it any other way after learning about this. Here are a couple resources:
BYU Education Week HandoutOfficial SiteSince you're planning sprinklers, you can get drippers for your boxes, then you'll never even have to touch them. You'll essentially plant and then reap. Serious.

Please enjoy... said...

wow, i love it. the kids would be fine too :) you could leave one part grass, your backyard should be big enough for both... :)

Elder and Sister D said...

Looks like the soil needs some compost. This fall gather leaves and put them on the garden for the winter, then till them in in the spring - the soil will be more and more loamy 9 - spongy and not hard - with every season. I love the Organic Gardening Magazine - http://organicgardening.com/ - they speak to all the regions.
luv yor blahg!! Gma J

NdeN said...

I love the photo of DH looking dejected at the soil. HA! And have you seen the photos on my site of a project we completed in Lincoln?
http://www.segodesign.com/galleries/lincoln_edible_gardens/index.html
- sporting a very similar herb cloister to the one you pictre.